COOKIE NOTICE: Sage Housing uses cookies to store information on your computer, in order to improve your experience when using our website. One of the cookies we use is essential for parts of the site to operate and has already been set. You may delete and block all cookies from this site (using your browser), but parts of the site may not work. To find out more about the cookies we use, click here.

moving home

Sage Housing does not keep a housing waiting list so if you would like to move into one of our properties, you will need to apply to join the housing register of the local authority area you are interested in living in.

For existing residents wanting to move home, we highly recommend that you consider mutual exchange as this is the quickest and most effective means of housing transfer.  This means that you can apply to "swap" properties with someone who lives in a Sage Housing property, another housing association or local authority home as long as your tenancy agreement permits this and certain other conditions are met.

Who is Eligible?

  • most people with a social housing tenancy in their name.

You will not be able to exchange your property if:

  • have an introductory tenancy – an introductory tenancy is given to new tenants. It is set for a trial period, usually one year (your landlord will confirm the length of time) to show that you are a responsible tenant
  • have rent arrears
  • have a history of antisocial behaviour
  • have been given a property as part of your employment with its landlord
  • there is a possession order in force against you, possession proceedings have started against you or a notice seeking possession has been served
  • the property you want to exchange to is too big for your requirements. For example, if you currently qualify for a one bedroom property and want to swap to a two bedroom property, but your circumstances have not changed
  • the property has been specifically designed or adapted for you because of a physical disability and the person you want to swap with does not have the same needs
  • the property is one of a group let to people with special needs and the person who you want to swap with does not have those needs.

If you're interested in registering for a mutual exchange, please register at or contact us for more information.