COOKIE NOTICE: Sage Housing uses cookies to store information on your computer, in order to improve your experience when using our website. One of the cookies we use is essential for parts of the site to operate and has already been set. You may delete and block all cookies from this site (using your browser), but parts of the site may not work. To find out more about the cookies we use, click here.

gas safety


It is our legal responsibility to ensure that your home is safe by providing you with an annual gas safety certificate.

We maintain 100% up-to-date Gas Safety certificates for all our properties - it's the law. This means we will need to service your gas heating system every year to check that it is operating efficiently and safety. Our contractor will advise you by letter when your service is due.

All appliances must be serviced each year and it is important we have your cooperation to do this. If the suggested time is not convenient, you can re-arrange your appointment by contacting us or the contractor. If you do not let us into your home, we may take legal action to gain entry. We will charge the cost of this to you.

If you smell gas do not:

  • turn lights or switches on or off
  • light matches or cigarettes
  • use your mobile phone or any other electrical equipment inside the house
  • use your intercom system

If you smell gas do:

  • turn off the gas supply at the meter
  • open windows and doors to allow any gas that may have built up to escape
  • ring the national grid on 0800 111 999 from a landline or outside the property if using a mobile phone

Carbon Monoxide

We service all gas appliances every year, and this reduces the risk of any problems as far as possible. However, it is important to be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide.

When gas does not burn properly, too much carbon monoxide is produced. You can’t see, taste or smell it, but it can kill without warning in a matter of hours. Early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include tiredness or drowsiness, headaches, and pains in the chest or stomach. You are most vulnerable when you are asleep.

Gas appliances that have not been properly installed or serviced and do not have enough ventilation can cause carbon monoxide poisoning. The risks are very low as we service gas heating and hot water appliances in your home every year.

As a tenant, you should take the following precautions:

  • never block the air vents in your home, as they provide the air needed by appliances
  • never block outside grills
  • never use a gas appliance if you think it is not working properly. Signs to look out for include yellow or orange flames, soot and stains around the appliance, and pilot lights which frequently blow out
  • never use a rotary ceiling fan in a room at the same time as a gas appliance
  • you should look out for increased condensation inside windows
  • always allow us to service the gas appliances in your home
  • always use a Gas Safe registered engineer to install and service your gas cooker
  • for your safety, it is important that you tell us if you need to sleep in a room where there is an open-flued gas appliance, for example a fire or a back boiler
  • if you think you have been expose to carbon monoxide, please visit your GP urgently and explain that you may have been exposed 

WARNING - GAS CAN KILL!